Sunday, February 20

A taste of the market

I'll try to give a more complete recap of the weekend tomorrow (as I am quite tired and wish to go to sleep in my nice big bed). But first I'll give you all a something to whet your appetite.

We checked out a few things during our day and a bit in Kuala Lumpur, but I'd say that we spent a large part of it exploring the market in China town. Below I have attached a couple pictures I took of it. Keep in mind that this was at around noon--we went back at night and it was a whole different place. I don't know if Dave got any pictures of it at night--I didn't take my camera since it wasn't as small as Dave's and more likely to get snatched (Dave's fits in his pocket).

I don't know of any other place that has so many "original copies" of watches, bags, and sunglasses. Notice that I said "original copy"...just think about that for a moment. You could get a Rolex for 10RM (that is about $3.34 CDN). Or a Mont Blanc leather bag for 80RM. The key is to not accept their offer, always cut it down--way down--if you don't go at least half you are getting screwed out of money. Oh, don't let the old crippled lady make you feel sympathetic, there is another guy just 200 metres away selling the same thing--she didn't make them herself (we fell for that one). On other occasions I got a guy down from his 25RM asking price to 10RM. Later that day I saw the same item in fixed priced stores for 15RM...I was happy with the outcome of that barter.

One thing that I noticed while touring the market at night was that the vendors sound like little birdies, all calling "cheap cheap, I give you cheap price".

I think that is all for tonight (it is 11:30PM), so I'm going to say bye for now, and I'll have more for you tomorrow.

-Ryan



Gates to China town Posted by Hello


Market around noon. It is *much* more busy at night. Posted by Hello

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan! I have been reading your messages with great interest. It is so interesting to hear about your daily travels. The Wightman family had a busy hockey weekend. I doubt there is too much hockey on your side of the world.
Take Care.
Alison

Ryan said...

I'm glad you are enjoying reading my blog. And no, there isn't much hockey to speak of here, let alone a way to keep ice around long enough to play a game.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan
What is the average temperature where you are ? How are you adapting to the change from "way over here" !!I'm getting tired of the "novelty & excitment" of winter and will be glad to kick it good bye.

Grandma

Anonymous said...

Will we see any pictures of Ryan himself? Oh, do you actually use any sunscreen or do you look like a piglet now? ;)

Anonymous said...

The marketplace there sounds interesting - you should bring us back some "original copies" of some souveniers :P

So are you still white as a ghost or are you getting a tan?

Ryan said...

There is no time to tan...maybe this weekend...ah to sleep in.

Night night