Saturday, March 5

Plan C Continued

Hi all,

Just got back from S2 with Dave. It seems that the early 80s is still alive and dong well in Malaysia. The bar was extremely amusing, we plan on gong during happy hour tomorrow and capturing it on video and still (video will be needed to fully appreciate it).

Well let us back up a little bit first. After our late afternoon pool and nap for Dave we headed to Penang Hill. This is the hill by which the entire island is formed (the small mountain with the island surrounding it). Probably the highlight of the trip was at the half way point (via the cable trains). At this time we had about 20 minutes to look around, and the monkeys were looking around too (I think they found a bag of chips from somewhere). So it was really cool to see real wild monkeys running around. I got many pictures (of which only a few turned out due to the low light level) and a few movies. So I will likely upload them before the weekend is out. Oh and for anyone who was wondering, beer really isn't that cheap here. This evening Dave and I spent approximately 170 Rm on beer (75 RM per bucket -- 5 bottles per bucket)...Carlsberg at that. And now I am feeling that Carlsberg is a pretty crappy beer.

But I have gone and skipped stuff again. The trip up Penang Hill was a pretty cheap trip (the ticket for the cable car up and down for both of us came to 8 RM) and had an incredible view. I got a couple pictures (but wish I had taken my tripod) overlooking Penang Island. At the top there was a restaurant/hotel which we were going to eat at however they ran out of the outdoor tables (it was much cooler up there at about 700 metres above sea level). There was also a couple temples, we went into one (I didn't take pictures since I didn't feel it was appropriate (people were actually praying in the temple at the time). It would have been a great spot to have a telescope (oh and a couple hours later)....Orion was straight overhead.

On our way back down to the cable car we came across a couple from Britain. They are on a 7 month excursion from Thailand to Australia. It was very nice to chat with some other folk who were visiting the area. They had been through multiple parts of Thailand, into Cambodia (visiting naive villages and such). Sounded like fun (but 7 months is a long trip).

Anywho, I really should be off to bed since I have to be in the lobby by 7:30 in order to catch the ride for our snorkeling trip. Nigh all (yes I'll upload the pictures at some point soon).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're having a real vacation of sorts, I'm glad. It wouldn't be real without last minute changes, flexing your adaptability muscle! Don't get burned snorkelling!

Ryan said...

Well I didn't get burnt snorkelling, but more so in the lounge chair. Didn't put the sunscreen on thick enough...whoops.