Sunday, October 1

Novels

I just wanted to mention a couple books I've read recently and/or am reading now.

A few weeks ago I finished "The Shadow of the Wind", a novel recommended, and borrowed, from George. True to his recommendation this was a very interesting book which kept you on your toes throughout keeping you reading far longer than you had intended. I'm not going to list the description here...it can be found on Chapters.ca, Amazon.ca, or Wikipedia.

I also recently picked up two books by Cory Doctorow: Eastern Standard Tribe, and Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town. Cory is a Canadian author who's novels are interesting and different (i.e. unique). Why is it when I was in school and forced to do a book report including at least one Canadian author it was always a problem to find one who's books attracted my attention with due to their content rather than the fact they were Canadian?

I have finished EST, it was a gem that went by ever to quickly, and I'm currently engrossed in Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town. If anyone is interested in these let me know and you can borrow them...or if you are inclined you can download them free (yes free) from his website (he is a proponent of Creative Commons).

1 comment:

George said...

Ooooh books! Exciting! I think I will borrow them when I get back, even though I have no idea what they are about. But I trust you. I recently finished a pretty good travelling book called 'The Historian'. It's about Dracula! But the characters travel all around Europe and it's fairly descriptive, so you really get a feel for some of the places.